Sunday, August 26, 2012
The Historic Filter Building of White Rock Lake
The historic Filter Building at White Rock Lake, Dallas is an excellent example of the urban industrial style of the 1920’s. It was built in 1911 in response to an increased population and extended droughts in the early 1900s.
The Filter Building at White Rock Lake was built in 1911
The Filter Building was designed and built by the City Engineering Department to provide an additional chlorinated water supply for the City of Dallas, which it started supplying in 1913.
A view of the Filter Building from across the lake
The Filter Building is a historic landmark
The Texas Historical Commission medallion reads:
WHITE ROCK PUMP HOUSE
In response to increased population and extended droughts in the early 1900s, this facility was built to provide an additional water supply for the City of Dallas. Designed and built in 1911 by the City Engineering Department, the Renaissance Revival structure features corbelled brick and terra cotta details. Although its use has varied, and much of its original equipment is no longer intact, it remains an important water utility structure.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1989.
A view from the side: The Filter Building at White Rock Lake
In 1929 the city of Dallas stopped using White Rock Lake as a source of water supply (except for a few years during the drought of the 1950s).
The building features exposed red brick walls & original iron trusses
The building features exposed red brick walls, original iron trusses, and a multitude of windows overlooking White Rock Lake, and was renovated in the late 1980s.
The building has many windows overlooking White Rock Lake
The Filter Building is located on the southwest shore of White Rock Lake. The address is 2900 White Rock Road, and it is currently being used as the Water Operations Control Center of the Dallas Water Utilities.